Pages

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Skelton Cont. IV





Before I know it everyone is finished up their own skeletons and I for some reason half maybe half done.  Some are amazing!  Others are good, but many of them didn’t hear the call of the challenge to draw the entire spine.  Maybe I should have done something much more generalized, I would have completed it the skeleton had I not taken the time to draw every nook, cranny and undulation of the vertebrae.  I also would not have learned more intimately of how exactly the spine works the way it does.  It’s absolutely fascinating to see how this most perfect design, this infinitely complicated vehicle is with us every day and we take it for granted.   To see how the vertebrae slowly change from the very top of the spine all the way to the bottom blows my mind away, from a distance I tried to draw each vertebrae as best as I could,  I thought I understood how they’re constructed, how they interact, but upon closer inspection, I was blown away.  They seem to hinge together near the back, but also overlay each other and at the same time accommodate just enough room to fit each rib in it’s own specific location.   I would need another semester to accurately draw this spine the way I wanted it, something is going to have to give, and it did, as was evident in the lower half of the spine, the lumbar got too confusing, became so condensed I had too much spine left, so they became much more generalized, to my disappointment.    I also had to very little time to complete the left half the body, which I guess was fine to me, since I thought it would be a neat gesture to see the right half shaded with so much contrast, then to see the left half fade into a general outline.  Besides, I was happy with the progress that I had made on the ribs, bone shading and spine shading.

No comments:

Post a Comment